Wax is used on varnished wood furniture as protection against moisture and dust. It is not a complicated process and it is easy to find the paste wax. Just make sure not to use it too often as overuse can cause buildup.
- Check the surface for flaking. If the finish is flaking, the piece might need to be refinished.
- Fold a lint free cloth tightly and saturate with paste wax, taking care not to use too much.
- Gently rub the wax over the surface of the furniture until it's completely coated.
- Let the wax dry, and buff the surface until it acquires a shine.
- Avoid using too much wax. If you use so much that you see clumps wipe it off on some other surface before applying to the wood, or you will end up with a dull finish.
- You can buff waxed surfaces with a soft cloth occasionally to restore shine, only re-waxing when buffing does not restore shine.
What You Need
- Clear or amber colored paste wax
- Clean lint-free cloth