"Chair and a half" is simply a clumsy and cumbersome name for an extremely comfortable piece of furniture. A chair and a half is nothing more than an over-sized chair that is wider than a standard chair, but narrower than a loveseat.
Who Uses a Chair and a Half?
This piece of furniture is either absolutely adored or absolutely hated, and surprisingly both these emotions are aroused by the same feature: its wider and deeper than usual seat. Whether you love it or hate it entirely depends on your own personal style of sitting.
If you are someone who likes to sit upright in a chair with your feet firmly planted on the ground, most likely you may not be a fan. However, if you prefer to pull your legs up, lean back into pillows or simply curl up, then this may end up being your favorite piece of furniture.
A reclining chair and a half is sometimes used by someone who finds it difficult to lie down or sleep in a conventional bed for health reasons. It allows the user to adjust the position to their liking and provides more room than a regular reclining chair.
Where to Use a Chair and a Half
So where would you use this piece of furniture? Looking around your home, you will see that many spaces call for a chair and a half.
- You may not initially think so, but a small room is the perfect fit for this large chair. In a room where floor space is at a premium, a loveseat may take up too much valuable space. Use a chair and a half in its stead.
- One of the more obvious places for a chair and a half is a family room. Since this is a chair you associate with relaxing, you can use it to create a cozy corner for curling up with another special person, pet, or book.
Use a reclining chair and a half for watching TV, reading or even taking a nap.
- A bedroom or a guestroom is another good spot for a chair and a half. In the guestroom it can even do double duty as a sofa bed.
Chair and a Half Styles
An over-sized chair does not necessarily mean it has to be overstuffed. As with any chair, it comes in a wide variety of styles, and even sizes. There is no one single style or size.
- The Inspiration Chair by American Leather shown in the picture on this page is very sleek, angular, and equipped with metal legs. This chair would be at home in a modern and uncluttered setting. However, you can just as easily find more traditional or transitional chairs with more curves, pillows, or even an overstuffed look. You will also find different styles, materials and treatments for legs.
- The back comes in different styles as well. You can just as easily find a chair and a half in tight back as with loose cushions.
- A chair and a half comes in a wide variety of arm styles. It can even be armless, which is especially suited to small spaces. An armless chair and a half also makes it easy to get in and out of the chair taking care of one of the complaints leveled against it. Or find one with contemporary or traditionally shaped arms, if you feel that they will add more comfort.
- As with any other chair or upholstered furniture, you may find a chair and a half in a variety of fabric or leather coverings.
Chair and a Half Types
While you can buy a chair and a half that serves simply as seating, you can also find many different types for different functionality.
- Sleepers don't have to be large sofas. A chair and a half can also function as a twin-size sofa bed. This type comes in handy in smaller homes when you cannot spare an extra room for guests.
- A reclining chair and a half works well in a family or media room for catching a few winks or watching a movie in a relaxed position.
- A glider chair and a half is great for children's rooms. It can easily accommodate more than one child for cuddling up with a parent for story time, or just some time together.
- You can easily pair a chair and a half with an over-sized ottoman, and you will most likely be able to find matching ottomans. This pairing not only provides the opportunity to stretch out in comfort, but also an additional feature: precious storage room inside the ottoman.