Black Friday or Cyber Monday, whatever you may want to call the sale, there are some very good furniture deals to be found right now.
Here are some highlights:
- Horchow: Horchow has several very attractive offers including accents for under $499, and mirrors for under $400 at considerable savings off the list prices.
- Office Designs: For office furniture deals including 15% off Herman Miller furniture.
- UGallery: If you are looking for art, UGallery has 20% off sitewide. Enter code maker20.
- CB2: One day event with 15% off, free shipping on everything except furniture, but there is free delivery for furniture purchases over $999.
- Pottery Barn: Free shipping day at Pottery Barn for in-stock items, furniture excluded. Code: FREESHIP.
Small spaces call for smaller scaled furniture. Here are some Black Friday finds for apartments or other smaller spaces.
- Simplicity Sofas: Their sofas for smaller spaces aren't just about looks, but good design, as in making it easy to assemble, disassemble, or to get them up or down stairs and through tight corners. Their sale is in progress through Cyber Monday.
- CB2: CB2 offers fresh modern design for smaller spaces. Save 15% on everything with promo code SAVE15.
- Overstock.com: Their are some good deals on bar stools and counter stools right now. For instance, Tabouret metal counter stools are available for $89.99, along with a bonus stool.
Loom Decor offers design decor without the designer price tag. This makes it an online destination for DIYers, as it offers a variety of product silhouettes from pillows and poufs to bedding and window treatments to tabletop linens, with over 400 designer-quality fabrics to choose from.
Their Black Friday and Cyber Monday deals include:
Brown and Yellow Modern Floral Custom Floor Pillow. 28" Square. Choose a decorator fabric for this knife edge pillow. Comes with a standard zipper closure to easily remove insert. The insert is polyester and hypoallergenic. Custom made in USA. $120 retail, now $84.
Aqua & Yellow Mini Emblem Square Pouf. You can add a tray so it can double as a small ottoman. With piping detail for a clean look. Standard zipper closure to easily remove poly bead insert. Custom made in USA. Measures 24" x 13". $244 retail, now $171.
Simple Throw Pillow in Sultan Pepper, Peridot. This pillow is available in 14", 18" or 20" square. It has knife edge seams, a hidden zipper closure. Made in Nashville, TN. $88 retail, now $62.
While it is not Black Friday yet, here are some some special furniture sales in progress right now.
- 2Modern has 12 Days of Gift Giving sale featuring 6 brands over the 12 days. Brands include Gus, Fatboy and Marimekko.
- Restoration Hardware: now through December 3. $100 off every $500 that you spend there on full priced items. Enter Code SAVE100 at check out.
- Pottery Barn: Just today 30% off candles and free shipping on all candles.
- Cost Plus World Market 25% off sale ends Thursday. Use code FURN25 at checkout or print out a coupon by visiting their website.
Today as the first Hanukkah candle is lighted on the menorah, Thanksgiving is just around the corner. This Thanksgiving will also be the second day of Hanukkah, a rare convergence of these two holidays.
1918 was the last time Thanksgiving and Hanukkah were celebrated together. The next time this happens will be in 2070, according to Chabbad.org.
Happy Hanukkah, and Happy Thanksgiving!
Who needs stress around holiday time? But it is very much there, what with all the shopping, decorating and entertaining.
Casey Noble, who hosts HGTV's Design on a Dime, offered some home decorating tips for About.com readers. She also offered a few shopping tips.
When shopping, set a budget and make a list. As you shop, keep checking back to see if you're on track. Look for small luxuries that feel indulgent, but won't break the bank.
When decorating, she says "more is more" for this time of the year. If that seems too much, select some focal points around your home and concentrate on those. Don't forget to include other senses to complete the experience. It can be as simple as warming some cinnamon sticks for the aroma, and putting on some holiday music. And above all, don't strive for perfection at the cost of fun.
Raymond Loewy, the legendary French-born, American industrial designer, would have been 120 today.
The creator of some of the best known symbols of modern design, Loewy has been called the father of modern design and the man who shaped America. His designs include S-1 locomotive, the Greyhound bus, the Shell logo as well as the Lucky Strike package with the bold red dot. And let's not forget the Studebaker Avanti and the Coldspot refrigerator. JFK and Jackie were among his fans.
Loewy who described himself as an "apostle of simplicity and restraint" also created furniture in keeping with his ideals. His designs are simple, streamlined, and unafraid of brilliant color where needed. The beauty of well designed furniture is that it never appears outdated, and continues to be relevant.
If you remember, last year some retailers opened as early as Thanksgiving, giving shoppers barely enough time to finish dinner. Maybe this also endangered another Thanksgiving tradition, the post dinner family squabbles.
Predictions are that this will be a so-so season for retailers because shoppers just don't seem to have the enthusiasm that would make it a great one. This year Thanksgiving falls on November 28, so there will be fewer shopping days than last year till Christmas. So what's a retailer to do, except extend the shopping season as much as possible. Amazon.com has already kicked off its special sale, as has Wal-Mart, which is offering holiday deals online.
When do you plan to shop?
I've always thought that the furniture and accessories you already have, can always play a big role in decorating for any holiday. Halloween is no exception.
Take this chair for instance. The Baroque Royal Armchair from Modani can play a starring role at any Halloween party.
Modern and old world all at once, it is a showstopper in its own right. The carved frame and the tufted black upholstery make it an effective accent anywhere. By the way if black is too brooding for your taste, the chair is also available in all white.
The day before Halloween is when you take a final look around, and make sure that everything is in readiness.
Still a lot to do? No worries, as there is plenty of help available for the unprepared, no matter what your Halloween decorating style happens to be. And just so tomorrow is a completely time for all, make sure that you have your safety steps in place. Not just for you, but for your pets as well.